Purchasing a mattress takes a lot of research and time before deciding on the one that suits your requirements and budget. There are several online guide & tips for buying a bed to help you out. However, as time passes by, even the best mattress in the market can cause you problems. Let’s take a look at some of the common issue that crop up as a mattress starts aging.
Firming Up A Mattress:
In case your mattress has started losing its firmness, the following tricks might help you out:
- Make sure that you use the right bed sheet size for your mattress. While making your bed, remember to pull the sheet tight over the mattress and tuck it in neatly underneath the mattress. A tight and flat sheet will help improve the firmness of the mattress and solve the problem for you.
- Flipping over the mattress is another way to deal with a mattress that has started sagging in the middle. When you sleep in the same position for a long time, the mattress tends to sag in a particular place as years go by. You can overcome this by either turning the mattress around or flipping it over. This trick has been observed to be a huge help to many people.
- If you feel that your mattress is too soft and does not offer enough support, it’s time to consider placing hard support like a particle or plywood board below the mattress. Make sure that the board is the same size as the mattress to avoid it from jutting out and causing unnecessary accidents.
- In case you are not willing to invest in a particle or plywood board, you can also place the mattress on your floor for better support.
- A mattress topper has also been observed to go a long way in improving the firmness of an old mattress. In fact, it also offers more support and keeps you comfortable when you sleep as well.
- High temperatures have also been observed to cause some mattresses to become softer over time. So if you live in a warmer part of the climate, you might want to consider setting the air conditioner at a low setting to extend the life of your mattress. In fact, while looking for tips to buy the mattress, it might be a good idea to consider a mattress that will suit your environment better.
Overheating Of Mattress:
A comfortable mattress for sleeping is what one looks for while shopping for mattresses. However, some mattresses tend to get overheated easily that causes a lot of sleepless nights.
- Most overheating mattresses are made using latex or memory foam. You can avoid overheating by investing in a mattress topper made of feathers or cool memory foam.
In case you have kids at home, the chances are high that the mattress has been through a couple of accidents or spillages. This can lead to an odor to rise from the mattress. You can nip this in the bud by applying baking soda over the mattress and then vacuuming it up after 15 minutes. Additionally, you can also leave out a bowl of vinegar to absorb any other lingering odors that might arise from the mattress. As long as you clean the mattress regularly, you need not worry about any odor. Brand new memory foam mattresses also tend to have a distinct smell. You can get rid of this by leaving the windows and doors open for a while.
By following the above-mentioned tips, you will be able to use your mattress for an extended period of time without worrying about looking for sleep tips online.