Dressing elegantly has to do with balance when combining your clothes (classic style, preferably) with fashionable accessories and wearing them with natural grace and poise.
You can dress with elegance if you manage to put some simple tips into practice. For example, you cannot see yourself elegant with clothes that are not your size or with clothes made with poor quality fabric.
Not all colors can make you look elegant, and not always more is better about accessories, even if they are designer! Additionally, there is clothing married to elegance until eternity and others that will always be fashionable.
When you dress elegantly, you undoubtedly do it with a purpose, consciously or unconsciously. Usually, this is to make a certain impression on others. You make clear how you want to be perceived, how you feel internally, the type of person you are, and showcase that attitude to the people you meet.
Whether you dress this way because it makes you happy or because your work or lifestyle requires it, there are special occasions that demand it. If you want to dress more elegantly, you should take the following tips into account:
- Your clothes should be fitted to avoid looking sloppy and projecting an image of carelessness.
- Wear high-quality garments that adapt to the shape of your body and don't distort your silhouette or restrict your movements. Soft fabrics with clean, well-finished seams are ideal since they're soft to the touch, and you're more likely to feel comfortable wearing them.
- Wear neutrals, such as cream, black, white, gray, and beige, or rich solid colors, such as red, emerald green, and navy blue. Solid colors are the foundation of any style that claims to be elegant.
- Complement your look with accessories, always taking care to keep the style simple. Add elegance with a Tiffany & Co wristwatch, pearl earrings, a classy Louis Vuitton handbag, or a slim gold Cartier cuff. Even your prescribed glasses can be Gucci!
- Wear items that will always be considered classy and elegant. Camel coats, pearls, diamonds, buttoned blouses, blazers, cardigans, black trousers, scarves, silk dresses, and like, will still be able to be worn for years to come and will continue to make you look fashionable.
- Wear designer clothes of quiet luxury brands that offer products with subtle or no markings. Elegance is in the beauty and quality of the garment and the appropriate attitude of the wearer.
The Opposite of Elegant
You already know what you must do to dress elegantly, but you do not have the complete information unless you know how to recognize those things that take you away from it.
- Do not wear clothes that look cheap.
- Never wear clothes that are too loose or tight.
- Do not show too much skin, especially around the stomach.
- Watch for wrinkles, lint, and loose fabric threads.
- Your hair should be pulled back and be uniform in color.
- Avoid wearing distressed denim.
- Do not wear cheap and large jewelry.
A Happy Medium
Although it seems that to dress elegantly, you must make a significant investment of money, and is not true; well, yes, but there is a chance to look classy without much expense. A lot of clothes that you already have in your closet can make you look elegant and stylish.
Distressed jeans are forbidden for high-end elegance, become the staple of casual outfits when in dark denim without holes. Pair your perfect-fitting jeans with black heels, a blazer, and a button-down shirt, and you have got yourself a classy look. Other items that you can combine with your jeans are knee-high boots, pointed shoes(check out the latest women's shoe styles), blouses, purses, earrings, sunglasses, and belted coats.
Wear a sweater dress, your black knee-high boots, some gold earrings, and your designer sunglasses. Black and gold is a color combination that will never go out of style. Simply added one designer accessory to an outfit can go a long way.
Use your accessories without limitation: brooches, scarves, earrings, rings, and more, and combine them with your pants, sweaters, and skirts to find the elegant casual style that best suits your personality.
You can experiment with different elegant styles: elegant chic, elegant vintage, and classy elegant. The elegant chic style includes many soft colors: ivory, light olive, dove gray, soft slate blue, and sometimes some pattern. It includes fabrics such as merino wool and wool flannel. Nothing is too tight or too loose.
The elegant vintage style uses clothing styles from at least twenty years ago. It is high-quality clothing, in soft solid colors and cheerful prints. The garments fitted, and the accessories, especially gloves, hats, and purses, express the trends of an era and testify to their style. You can get clothes of this style at very affordable prices.
The Finishing Touches
Dressing in style doesn't have to be an impossible undertaking. It all comes down to a series of decisions you have to make when choosing the clothes, accessories, and how you combine them.
Buy clothes to fit your body, but allow you to move naturally and feel comfortable. Use solid colors that are soft to the eye, such as black, gray, and beige. Take advantage of different shades and combine them with suitable styles.
Add accessories that never go out of style, like scarves, sunglasses, purses, and watches, to garments that have become icons of elegance and sophistication, such as camel coats, buttoned blouses, blazers, black pants, scarves, and so on.
If possible, avoid brand garments with ostentatious logos as much as possible, and have the right attitude when wearing a chosen combination. It is the natural feel and confidence in which you wear the clothes that will ultimately make you look more elegant.