As per the Medical Council of India, there are 462 medical colleges in India which offer 63,835 seats in MBBS/BDS colleges through NEET. According to the All India Quota and State Quota policies, 85% of seats in every medical college is reserved under the state quota; for domicile students. The remaining 15% of seats fall under All India Quota and can be availed by students from outside the state.
The reservation policies and criteria is different for both quotas. While the norms applicable for AIQ are set by the Central Government, criteria for reservation for state quota seat is as per the rules of the state government.
Admission through NEET-UG 2018:
The examination is qualifying in nature for admissions in the following:
- All India quota seats for MBBS/BDS courses reserved at 15% in all medical colleges (excluding Andhra Pradesh, Jammu & Kashmir, and Telangana)
- State quota seats for MBBS/BDS courses reserved at 85% in all medical colleges (including the states of Andhra Pradesh, Jammu & Kashmir, and Telangana)
- All Private Medical Colleges offering MBBS/BDS courses, Institutions & Universities/Deemed Universities across the country, Armed Forces Medical Services Institutions (AFMC).
In order to avail the MBBS/ BDS seats under reserved categories through NEET, all candidates must satisfy eligibility criteria set by the governing bodies of the quotas.
Candidates applying for seats falling under 15% of the All India Quota, must adhere to the eligibility criteria and guidelines set by MCC (Medical Counselling Committee). Candidates applying for 85% seats of the state quota, must follow the eligibility criteria and norms set by the State Medical Council.
NEET 2018 – All India Quota:
On the declaration of the result, a merit list of qualified candidates for All India Quota is be released by the CBSE. Candidates in the merit list are then qualified for Online counselling by MCC. All central, state and private colleges/universities will participate in All India Quota counselling. Candidates are then selected to fill the 15 % AIQ seats in colleges through centralized counselling conducted by MCC.
The students will have to register themselves for NEET counselling on the official website of MCC for the same.
Eligibility Criteria for admission under AIQ through NEET:
- Candidate must be the citizen of India, NRIs, PIOs, OCIs & Foreign Nationals.
For J & K, AP & Telangana States:
- Such candidates can apply for seats under 15% All India Quota seats for admission in AFMC, Pune on the basis of self-declaration.
Further seats have been reserved for SC, ST, OBC and for Physically Handicapped Students under the All India Quota.
The reservation for these categories is as follows:
|OBC (Non-creamy layer)||27%|
NEET 2017 – State Quota:
Admission of candidates in MBBS/MDS colleges under the state quota will depend on the reservation policies and eligibility criteria prevailing in that particular state/ Union Territory. Aspirants will have to register themselves for the seats under State Quota. In case a candidate is selected, they will be contacted by the state Admission Authority & Directorate of Medical Education for the same.
Eligibility criteria for admission under state quota through NEET:
- Candidates must have completed/appearing his/her 10th and 12th from the state in which the desired college is.
- Candidate must possess a residency proof as valid domicile in the state.
- Candidates are advised to stay updated as eligibility criteria may vary from state to state.
Note: Admission to AFMC will not be made only through NEET. Pune shall be subject to the policies prescribed by the Directorate General of Armed Forces Medical Services, Ministry of Defense, and Government of India.
Aspirants must fulfill other eligibility criteria and qualify in the selection processes other than NEET to get admission in AFMC, Pune.
Some of the top states and their state admission authority through NEET are given below:
- Arunachal Pradesh- Directorate of Higher Technical Education
- Assam- Directorate of Medical Education, Assam
- Chandigarh- Govt. Medical College and Hospital, UT Govt. of Chandigarh
- Chhattisgarh- Directorate of Medical Education, Raipur
- Goa- Directorate of Technical Education, Goa
- Gujarat- Admission Committee for Professional Medical Educational Courses
- Haryana- Pt. B.D Sharma University of Health Sciences, Rohtak
- Uttar Pradesh- Directorate General of Medical Education and Training, UP
- Karnataka- Karnataka Examinations Authority
- Maharashtra- Directorate of Medical Education and Research, Maharashtra
Read More :